Jun 16, 2012

Review: Sweet Evil

Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1)
Sweet Evil
By Wendy Higgins
Published: Mary 1st, 2012 by HarperTeen

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She’s aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn’t until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He’s the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?
(Goodreads)

I'm going to start off by saying that I loved this book.  Devoured it in only a few days.  It was a real surprise.

At first, I was pretty skeptical.  Anna wasn't my favorite main character, at least, not at the beginning.  But as I kept reading, I started to like her voice a lot more.

I enjoyed all of the characters.  I think Kaidan was the man reason why I liked this book so much.  It'd been a while since I had read about some sexy boy like him.  So, that's probably one of the major things that had attracted me and made me read it so much.

The dark side was really nice too.  Anna going all bad-girl wasn't very interesting to me, but I liked how all of the others worked.  They were all pretty good.  Well, all of the characters were good.  They were developed.

The take on angels and demons was interesting too.  Along with all of the history with the Dukes.  I didn't really like Kaidan's father, but that could have been because I didn't really see his motives.  Maybe there wasn't really a motive, or it could've been because of his nature, or whatever you want to call it.  But he was hated, which I'm sure was the intention.

I can't really think about what it was that had bothered me, if anything. (Okay, that's a lie.  I don't remember what I was saying just know.)

Overall, I like the book, and am interested in what will happen next.  One thing I would have liked better is if Anna had really just given up on Kaidan and had gotten together with what's his name (is it really bad that I can't remember his name?).  Anna and Kaidan have a thing, but she's a little too obsessed with him and it really really annoys me.

Right now, I'd rather this between 3 to 4 stars.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. I'm not sure I like the premise but I sure do love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the premise is pretty basic, nothing too action-y goes on, but the cover IS amazing!

      Delete