Nov 2, 2011

Wanderslust (excerpt 1)

I'm kind of ahead in NaNoWriMo for this, and almost done with the first chapter.  So, here's the excerpt:



  James pops up beside Benjamin, slinging an arm over Ben’s shoulder.  “You mean you don’t enjoy the time you spend with her?  How could you ever say such a thing?” he asks, mock horror lining his face for a second.  He bursts into laughter seconds later, forcing Ben to rock from side to side. 
     “What are you, drunk?”  Ben shakes his head at James and steps away, standing in the road for a moment.
     “Knowing him, he has some scotch somewhere in his coat,” I mutter, turning on my heels.  Ben appears at my side, the two of us abandoning James.  I try hard not to smile at the close proximity and instead focus on the carriages as they move forward, the Minister’s car gone.
     “You know, that’s not a very nice thing to say.”  James slings his arms around our necks, his head hanging between us.
     I stop walking and glare at him through a lock of auburn hair.  “Go hifreann leat!
     He steps back, hand covering his mouth.  “Such words spout from such a proper young lady.”  He closes his eyes and shakes his head, dark blond hairs shaking into his eyes.  “Benjy, you really should be a hold on your lassie.”

The phrase is an Irish phrase in the Gaelic language (so says the website where I found the phrase).  (I kind of screwed up the formatting.  Need to fix that soon.)

So, how's your writing coming along?  Do you know any phrases in foreign languages?

No comments:

Post a Comment